I officially finished Kayla Itsine’s BBG 2.0 this week and I’m ready to move on to bigger and better things. I loved doing both guides and will use them again in the future I’m sure of it, but now it’s time to switch it up. My fitness has done a complete 180 since starting the guide and I couldn’t be happier about it, but I was getting a little bored of the usual 7 minute circuits 4x through. I needed to change up the pace a little bit and refocus. Plus, I want to get back into running more because it’s something that makes me feel really accomplished whenever I do it. So, today’s workout was a beautiful marriage of strength training and cardio.
It all started with an easy 3 mile run. I told myself I could go at any pace, but I just had to run straight for 30 minutes and when I was done, I felt great and kicked it through to finish the 3 miles total in a little over 21 minutes.
Then, I brought my heart rate down with 15 minutes of light elliptical work before heading over to the weight area to get my HIIT (high intensity interval training) on.
Full-Body 15 Minute HIIT workout!
For this HIIT workout, I used the app Seconds (you can get it for free in the app store) and set up 5 rounds of 30:30 intervals, pressing play again to start a new round after a one minute break. That means 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of recovery. For the recovery portion, I chose to do 30 seconds of active cardio recovery by jump-roping. Don’t have a jumprope? Don’t worry about it, do high knees, jumps in place, jumping jacks or a combination. Anything to keep your heart-rate up. After each circuit, there is a minute of rest.
I highly encourage you to listen to Thriller, Disturbia, Ghostbusters, Monster Mash etc. during this workout to get the full halloween effect.
- 30 sec Burpees, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec squats, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec box jumps, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec jump squat, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec squat and press (5-10lb weight), 30 sec Jumprope
1 minute rest.
- 30 sec push-ups, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec snap jumps, 30 sec Jumprope
- 1 minute plank (think of it as 2 30 sec intervals)
- 30 sec weighted burpees (5-10lb weight or regular if needed), 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec tricep dips, 30 sec Jumprope
1 minute rest.
- 30 sec mountain climbers, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec burpees, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec step-ups (weighted or non depending on preference), 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec split jumps, 30 sec Jumprope
- 30 sec squat and press, 30 sec Jumprope
Recover or Repeat.
I repeated this workout two times through for a total of 30 minutes, but if you want you can just do it once for 15 minutes of HIIT goodness. I promise your heart will be pumping and you will be sweating. It’s a total body killer that will leave you feeling amazing.